Saturday, April 12, 2008

Let's rodeo!

DH surprised me this afternoon with a ticket to the local college rodeo.

Cowboys doing what cowboys do. Just standing around waiting for the action to start.

The guy in the blue jacket looks like he's seen something disgusting. The guy next to him is leaning in for a real good look. Could it be boogers? What would make him pull that kind of face? Maybe the guy on the horse isn't looking too swift. Riding with a handle and a prayer. No thanks.

This folks, is a wreak. During the bareback riding the horse went down, rolled over the cowboy, and finally just laid on top of the poor kid. I'm happy to report that both cowboy and horse were fine. The cowboy got a re-ride and blew off the next horse like he had dynamite in his britches.

Next up, calf roping. I just don't see the point in it at all. This was DH's chosen event so I have to be nice and take at least one picture.

Here we are saddle bronc riding. As far as I'm concerned this isn't much better than bareback riding. Yes, they give you a saddle and stirrups, but come on, a puny little rope to hang with. You must be kidding. This is where the handle would be handy.

My favorite event. I've actually done this and lived to have nightmares about it. Of course I was much younger and bounced better than I do now. Bull riding at it's best. You can get some of the most interesting shots with video. This guy bit the dust after throwing up not only his hands, but also his feet. Sorry cowboy, the other six seconds weren't nearly as entertaining.

I took absolutely zero pictures of the can chasing, team roping, or the goat rope. I might have slept through those three events. Or maybe I was comatose by that point. Dunno.

Why is it barrel racing? Those barrels aren't moving at all.

Those poor little goaties. What did they ever do to those mean old girls to deserve being thrown on the ground, knocking the wind out of them and having three legs tied together in 3 seconds or less. (Psst! Flip your goat over and he won't kick loose.)

I hope you enjoyed the rodeo.

Tomorrow I promise to get the give-away posted.

3 comments:

SchnauzerMom said...

Great photos! It's been several years since I've been to a rodeo. It all looks so painful.

Unknown said...

Yes, great photos Jo!! Love those cowboys!!

Annie said...

Awesome! The bull rider is best. I never understood barrel racing. It always seemed, will, too girlie. Love those bull riders, though!