Sunday, April 20, 2008

Hash brown potato casserole

I first had this casserole at a luncheon and begged for the recipe. I could almost eat my weight in this stuff.

Ingredients:
2 pounds hash brown potatoes, thawed
1 cup sour cream
1 can cream of chicken soup
8 ounces sharp cheddar cheese
1 stick butter or margarine
1 cup diced onion
1 cup crushed potato chips

The original instructions are to mix everything together and dump in a casserole, cover in crushed chips and bake at 375 degrees for 1 hour.

My changes:
Saute onions in butter and add to other ingredients (my digestive system is failing me and raw onions don't like me any more), leave out the potato chips, and sprinkle a little cheese on top. I also bake it at 350 degrees until it bubbles and the cheese browns.

There are so many things you could add to spice this up and make it uniquely your own. For a breakfast casserole, I like to add crumbled bacon or sausage. DH likes it with chopped green chilies. Last night I added sauteed mushrooms and it was really yummy.

Enjoy!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Sounds interesting, think I"ll keep it and try it out on the family! Love the tea towels!

Unknown said...

Come see me, I've got an award for you to claim! :)