Wednesday, March 18, 2009

The buffet

Mom bought this at a garage sale years ago for something like $20. I always admired it and told her if she ever wanted to get rid of it to let me know. Well, when we were moving here from NM she sent it with me. I've loved it and enjoyed it very much these last five years.We decided to move this to the kitchen and take the kitchen table to storage because on the Hernia Scale of 1 to 10, the buffet is a 12.

The dining room is empty and with any luck at all I'll have demolition pictures soon.

3 comments:

Autumn Leaves said...

Oh my goodness! I love the buffet. I'm nuts about antique furniture anyway (and don't own a single piece), but that is beautiful. I recently used olive oil on the top of my favorite dresser because the wood was looking...dull? Dry? Thirsty? It did wonders for both shine and the wood. Just used a soft cloth and rubbed it in/dusted with it. Looks like it would work nicely on this piece too!

I find myself wondering if you have a long arm quilter or if you quilt by hand?

JoAnn ( Scene Through My Eyes) said...

I know what you mean about the weight of that buffet. We have one very similar - plus the table and 6 chairs that go with it. They have been in our family for five generations now - and have gone from CA to AK to CA to another place in CA - and now to WA - where they were in our daughter's house for a while but have finally come home to us. They are really a bit of a nuisance to move - but wow are they sturdy - solid oak - and lovely to have in the family. We almost got rid of them when we bought our new house last year - glad we didn't - and we don't have to worry about moving them again - although we did have to move them out to have the new carpet put in - sure glad that is done. Waiting for the demolitiion photos.

SchnauzerMom said...

Wow that is gorgeous! I love antiques too.