Saturday, March 1, 2008

More goodies found

I got most of the old linens and things found. Finally, they get to be on the drying rack where they belong. Several sets of embroidered pillowcases, cross-stitched table cloths, embroidered runners and dresser sets, a couple of appliqued pieces, crocheted doilies. Well, you get the idea.


















I kept moving a box around that weighed a ton. The last time I decided to open it up and see what was heavy. I was so tickled. Meet the wringer. I adore this old thing. It still works and has all of it's parts.














How about a washboard. One of these days I'll find one of glass. I look at these and think about the women, bent over scrubbing with lye soap until their hands were raw, so that the family could have clean clothes.


















The wringer, boards, and rug beaters use to adorn my laundry room at the old house. Wait! Where are those rug beaters? It looks like I need to go do some unpacking.

2 comments:

Annie said...

I've washed a thing or two on a rub board in the bath tub... I like them better as antiques than household tools.

Aunt Jo said...

I did a re-inactment one time as an early farm wife. I boiled clothes in a pot, scrubbed them on a board, wrung them out and hung them on a line. I so enjoyed it.

A little part of me is glad I don't have to do it today, but if I ever needed to I have the tools to do it.