Tuesday, June 17, 2008

My head exploded

Okay, not really, but it feels like it could. I have a headache.

I've been making flash cards so Mom can help me study. I think I'm going in circles right now so I put it up.

In other news, I wish I'd planted more garden. I want a couple of bushels of green beans, black-eyed peas, etc. If I hurry I might be able to get some beans in, but not nearly enough to can since I didn't plan early and get the ground worked.

Mom and I went to the Farmer's Market tonight and I was tempted by some pretty little potatoes. I ended up with $3.50 worth. I forgot about the guy down on Main Street with veggies. I'll try to remember to go on Friday.

After dinner I diced up a bunch of onions, flash froze, and vacuumed them into bags for the freezer. Perfect for soups and such.

In my little garden the squash are doing well. I noticed about a dozen little 1-1/2 to 2 inch squash babies. My five cucumber plants have tons of little 1 inch or less cukes. More peppers are on the way. I may freeze some of those as well.

The radishes were a bust this year. Some of them did okay, but others didn't make before going to seed. We got so little return that I'm not planting them next year.

I need to go dig out the dehydrator so I can dry some onions too. Onions are plentiful right now.

I hope everyone had a great Tuesday even if you're cutting wheat and got rained out. ;)

4 comments:

SchnauzerMom said...

Your garden sounds really nice. My mom used to raise veggies but I never have. I'm not a big veggie eater but fresh ones are definitely better than the stuff in the store.

tj said...

...Hi Jo'! Gosh, it sounds like you got in a nice garden! I didn't get in the garden that I wanted this year either. We just had to much rain and it kept getting later and later so all I've got this year is sunflowers, tomatoes, squash, cukes, asparagus(that was in) and my pumpkin patch. I'm growing our cukes on a trellis this year, so I'm gonna see how that will work out...

...You're a gal after my own heart with the canning too. And how do you flash freeze onions? Do you vacuum seal them?

...Hope the headache goes away. Take care and don't over do it...

...Blessings... :o)

Aunt Jo said...

TJ, I put the diced onions on a cookie sheet and stuck them in the freezer. It didn't take very long and then I vacuum sealed them into bags.

plain*worker*primitives said...

Wonderful garden, great pics too..I planted tomatoes, cukes, bell peppers, snap peas, onions, zuchinni, crook neck, watermelon and strawberries....I am still waiting on most things though...My cukes are not doing so well, but the plant is growing and flowering like no one's business but the cukes are dying off.... Don't know why??

Take care,
melissa