Saturday, June 28, 2008

I can, because I can

I managed to get 28 pints of green beans canned today with no disasters and no busted jars. I'd love to do more.

Nothing, absolutely nothing, beats home-canned green beans in December. Growing up, I helped my granny can vegetables in the summer and loved it. The whole process is just so darned much fun. If you're into that kind of thing that is.

Today, I feel like I really accomplished something every time I hear a 'pop' coming from the kitchen. Another pint sealed. Another pint of green beans for later.

I enjoy knowing what exactly is in those jars. I know there's no stems or yucky beans. Just good stuff.

DH loves green beans and would eat them every day if I'd let him. At that rate I'd need to can at least as much as I did today just to have green beans once a week.

Next up for canning, assuming I can find it at a good price, more green beans, black eyed peas, pinto beans, peaches, corn, a couple of different soups. Heck I might even give pickles a whirl if my cucumbers do as well as I think they will.

I hope everyone is having a great Saturday. I know I am. :)

5 comments:

SchnauzerMom said...

Those look good! Sounds like you have a busy summer ahead.

Danetta said...

mmmmm I am with your DH on the green beans. I love them and looking at those made me smile :)

sweetiepie said...

Those look soooo good. I love green beans also.

Beemoosie said...

My brother in law is going to teach me to can this summer....I don't know if I could find all those yummy beans around here though!!!

Country Girl said...

Oh, my gosh. I used to do all of this when my children were young. It's really good to see again. I love it!