Saturday, June 7, 2008

I bought a box

DH and I got up this morning and went to a few of the many garage sales.

At the first garage sale I bought this box for $10. I was jumping up and down excited about the contents of the $10 box. I nearly wet myself and thought I might faint. I thought surely there's a zero missing from that price. Nope. $10 it was.

I asked the girl if it worked and she said yes and demonstrated. I paid the sweet girl $10 and scurried to the pickup with my box, all the while hoping she wasn't chasing after me saying it was all a mistake.

Packed inside the box is a nearly pristine 1955 Singer Featherweight, model 221. It includes all of the original attachments plus a few extras, the instruction manual, the bobbin case and bobbin (very important), the foot control/power cord, and the key to lock the box.
I'm still so excited I can hardly stand myself.

8 comments:

SchnauzerMom said...

WOW! All the good garage sales are in your town, I'm moving up there. That is sooo cool. Have fun with it. It reminds me of my grandmothers.

Danetta said...

Oh how exciting!!! I really don't want to take up going to garage sales but you sure have found some treasures.

Lissa Jane said...

HOLY CRAP!!! I go to garage sales and come home empty handed.. I would of nearly pee'd myself with excitement opening that box! Congratulations, what a score!!!

PS I love your grandmothers flower garden quilt, I been making one for four years *Sssshh dont tell anyone its been that long* must put an updated pic on the ol' blog! mines in 30's and I do love it, should be King size..

plain*worker*primitives said...

LOL I have done the same thing, walking away thinking someone had made a mistake on the price and is after me!

Only once in a GREAT while do we find something that awesome!! You are one lucky girl!!

Melissa

sweetiepie said...

Wow, you lucky girl! That is one nice machine. I learned to sew on a machine just like that! It brings back such good memories!

I love the beginnings of your Dear Jane quilt. Joyce in Iowa

Saska said...

What a great find! Somebody definitely didn't know what they hand.

Annie said...

Are you Irish???? You have all the luck!!! And how cool that your hubby goes garage saleing with you! I can't get anyone to go with me, hence, I don't go.

Annie said...

PS - I just saw one of these machines on Ebay for $125!