Tuesday, November 27, 2007

A few more thoughts

I just read this article, Selling Handmade Items:Do cut price handmade goods compromise the market?

and followed a link to Pricing Your Sewing and Needle Work.

Both articles make perfect sense. On one hand, I don't want to ruin the market by charging what I think is a fair price and completely undercutting the other apron makers. But at the same time my items aren't exactly like theirs and so our costs are different. I feel like I need to take geographic differences into account as well. Living in the middle of the US is certainly cheaper than living on either coast.

I think I'll sit down and do some more figuring (overhead, etc.) and come up with a price I can live with that is fair to the customer, the other apron makers and myself.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I'll have to read both of those articles, thanks for sharing them with us!

tj said...

...Me too, I'll have to do some reading on the articles you posted. And I'm not sure that I'm understanding your concern regarding undercutting the other apron makers, are you worried that you might take some of the market from them? Or do you know them?...
...Thanks for sharing the info.!:o)

Aunt Jo said...

TJ, I know at least one of them from another board. I don't want to step on any toes and cause bad feelings.