Monday, August 18, 2008

Dressed up Sunflowers

The other day we were out and about and saw some really cute sunflower bunches with a not-so-cute price tag. I thought to myself, I can do that. I say that a lot and then never do it.

So, grab a handful or three of sunflowers from your local dollar store. I paid $1 per bunch and got three. These are kind of blah and don't do much for me. Yet. ;)For this project you need fabric, a sunflower head, needle and thread, and a bit of stuffing.Grab one of your sunflowers and pull it's little head off. Go ahead, it won't hurt. Now, separate the center from the petals.Make a fabric yo-yo. Personally, I'm yo-yo challenged have to use a yo-yo maker. This is an extra large size. It works perfectly.Put a wad of stuffing in the center of your flower middle for an added bit of dimension and stick it inside the partially drawn up yo-yo. Pull the threads to close and tie off. Be sure to clip the threads and be sure the little stem is sticking out.
Take your new flower center and reassemble the sunflower. Sometimes it takes a little maneuvering to get it back together, but it's not too bad.
Tada! A brand new, super cute, sunflower with some personality and a little zing.
You can do them all the same or all different. Either way these sunflowers are dressed up and ready to participate in your fall decor.
The great thing about this is you can use polka dots this year and next year use homespun or what ever tickles your fancy.

Cost:
Flowers - $3
Fabric, thread, etc. - on hand
Time: about 20 minutes for the four I did.

Have fun!

7 comments:

SchnauzerMom said...

What a great idea! That is so cute. I love sunflowers.

Unknown said...

Love it...they are so cute. This is such a great beginning of fall project and a good way for me to use up the forty million fat quarters I have because I have a bad fabric addiction going on. Thanks.

Unknown said...

How cute is that! I love it but for the life of me, can't make a yo-yo, where did you find a maker for them? The quilt is beautiful too! I love to bake also, esp. on a cold day, the bread looks yummy but you can keep the dough for munching! yuck! lol

sweetiepie said...

This is such a neat idea and so colorful! Thanks for sharing.

Annie said...

How did the tea dye turn out??

plain*worker*primitives said...

I adore the polka dot sunflower!!!

What a great idea :)

Take care,
melissa

Aunt Jo said...

Sue, I found my yo-yo maker at Hancocks.

Annie, it's coming.