Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Happy Earth Day!

Did you celebrate? Do you celebrate? What did you do?

Do I celebrate? Of course! Every day is a holiday around here. I treated myself to the sights at the Old Fishing Hole. I saw sunning turtles...and my favorite migratory bird...the Yellow-headed Blackbird.I also celebrated by planting a tomato plant. I'm looking forward to sun-warmed tomatoes later this summer.

Then I came home and blew the whole deal by using spray paint...twice.

Naked plug surrounded by recycled newspaper.Primed plug surrounded by recycled newspaper.Painted plug surrounded by recycled newspaper.I painted the gas plug in the dining room. Notice the recycled newspaper. LOL.

I'd like to think I redeemed myself when I refused a bag at the hardware store, Wal-Mart, and the grocery store.

I do try to be conscious of what I bring into the house and as a result what leaves as garbage.

Speaking of garbage. Did you know a little old man took my paneling from the living and dining room to put up in his cabin at the lake? It didn't go in the landfill.

The ceiling tiles were tested for asbestos and found to be positive so they didn't go to the landfill.

The plaster is going to be crushed and turned into something else.

All of the lumber is going to be recycled into a greenhouse for me one of these days.

The metal strips from the drop ceiling went to the recycling center.

Part of the carpet was taken for a dog kennel. I didn't know people carpeted dog kennels, but that's okay.

I'm sure I could have done better, but I think I did a pretty good job. Happy Earth Day.

Tomorrow I'll give a house update.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Happy Earth Day...WOW, you did an amazing job.

Annie said...

We ran the air conditioner and drove to Tulsa today.

Autumn Leaves said...

That Annie always makes me laugh.

I think you did awesome, darlin'. I try to be conscientious, but admit to taking the plastic at the grocery store. It is useful for scooping up dog crap. Sigh...

You know what else pains me? This town (or this mobile park) does not recycle. That really bothers me alot. I think I shall have to look into recycling on my own speed. Yes...that is a great idea, methinks.

By the way, I love the sunning turtles!

Unknown said...

You did great! I love to hear people recycle and reuse! I cleaned out flower beds and did some yard work, planted flowers and just soaked up some sun!

SchnauzerMom said...

I have to confess that I didn't do a thing for Earth Day, forgot about it actually. I did plant some flowers today, does that count?

plain*worker*primitives said...

Yep, sun warmed tomatoes... yumm ...I am waiting for those too, got 4 plants today!

Sounds like you did a GREAT job!

XO
melissa