I decided to use muslin for the border. It's not fancy and it's not colorful, but it honestly looks really good. I'm going to use navy blue for the binding and tie it all together.
I spent most of yesterday sewing up the back, laying it out, trying to keep kids and cats off of it, and basting it. I'm a firm believer that more basting is better. This thing is so solid right now you could use it without it being quilted.
I tried out the walking foot on a muslin and batting sandwich and it works great. Now I just need to move the machine in the dining room, butt it up against the dining table, and get sewing.
Part of me really wants to hand quilt this, but the realistic part of me knows that I'd never get it done.