Monday, June 8, 2009

Happiness is...

Digging in the dirt. I'm happy to report I finally got my squash in the ground. This year I employed the "get the crap planted and hope for the best" method of gardening.

When we lived on the farm I used the "honey can you disk this little spot up for me" method which always resulted in a garden bigger than one woman could care for and stay sane.

The first year I gardened in Oklahoma I used the square foot garden method and loved it. Some really sick part of me likes the nice orderly squares. The sandbox frame does a great job of keeping birds and cats out of the bed. Please note the difference in this picture and the one up top. It's sad.

This year gardening has been the last thing on my mind. Instead of starting with seeds and ending up with plants, I dreamed up 99 ways to tear up the house and irritate my husband.

So this year I'm planting my leggy little store-bought squash and hoping for the best. If I get one I'll be happy and any more will send me over the moon.

All I can do is try harder next year and hopefully get my act together a whole lot quicker.

How is your garden growing?

5 comments:

SchnauzerMom said...

My method is to stick it in the ground and hope for the best.

Annie said...

I have two tomato plants and one orange pepper plant that I stuck in a red bucket full of soil (did you ever see my red bucket garden?). So far, we've had enough rain that I've been able to forget about them without killing them.

Autumn Leaves said...

Have to admit that I like that square foot method. The orderly neat squares appeal to me as well! LOL But still...you've been super busy with house, grandbabies, in-laws...You should be patting yourself on the back for managing any method this year! They look just fine, darlin'. Good luck with getting squash!

Unknown said...

Your not alone Jo, we got a late start too due to all the rain. Were doing the square foot gardens also, so much easier on the back and over all maintaince. I love your idea of a cover like that, we need to come up with something soon. There's always next year and we too will be better prepared. Don't be so hard on yourself, the house came first!

Saska said...

I bought some of those store-raised plants too. If the wind doesn't tear them up eventually, maybe I'll have something to eat out of it.

Have a feeling it's gonna turn 100 degrees and windy just real soon.