Monday, October 27, 2008

How flat thou art

Eastern New Mexico has it's own special beauty.
You can see for absolutely miles.
On a good day on the way to Roswell, you can see the Capitan mountains. They're still a long, long way away.
A little bit of that New Mexico sunset everyone seems to love.
See how different the dirt color is compared to Oklahoma. Really it's just sand and will be gone and replaced in the next big wind.
This is peanut farming country. I love to see the peanut trailers lined up.
You don't see many trees around here.
This old building is on the way to Roswell.
Flat, flat, flat.
This is the Burlington Northern Santa Fe rail line. I can remember when it was just the Santa Fe and they still used a caboose on the trains.
This is also dairy country. Every where you look there's a dairy, sucking up what little water there is. There are enough dairies to support a cheese plant.
Dry, dry, dry. The average yearly precipitation is 17.17 inches.I've lived in Oklahoma almost four years and daily I'm reminded of how blessed I am to have this opportunity. I love the trees, the water, and the landscape. Every bit of it in sharp contrast to what I lived with for 14 years.

Would I ever move back to NM? Not willingly. I really think it's a nice place to be from and a visit every now and again isn't too bad, but Oklahoma is my home now.

3 comments:

SchnauzerMom said...

O yes that is very familiar. I was born in Clovis, New Mexico. I lived there off and on for a few years. I love Oklahoma! Thanks for sharing the photos.

Unknown said...

I'm from Nevada and don't miss the desert one bit, Missouri is like heaven compared to the desert, so I understand! Home is where the heart is....

Annie said...

I wouldn't like to live in the flatlands, either. When we lived in Colorado, we'd frequently come through New Mexico and across the Texas panhandle on our drive "home." That area seemed like another planet compared to here.

However, the plateaus are really cool...