Friday, September 5, 2008

NSM - Project #4

In case you can't tell, and I know you can't, it's a skirt. I used Kwik Sew 2805 for the pattern. It was super easy to make and I was able to do it in about 30 minutes. However, I got hung up on the hemming and didn't finish it yesterday.

For the record, I'd rather poke myself in the eye with a needle than hand-hem anything. I hate it.

I decided last night to use the blind-hem on my sewing machine. Yeah right. I'm sure some people could figure it out with no problem, but not I. Evidently I have a rather steep learning curve sometimes.

Once I figured it out it went really fast and I even had time to iron the skirt before taking a picture. The hem is even and doesn't have that hangey-downey place in real life. It's pinned to the hanger and is wonky.

There you go. I wasted one of my two-day blocks futzing with a hem. How sad.

8 comments:

SchnauzerMom said...

Very pretty skirt, love the color and the material!

Sandra :) said...

Nice job!! I've never done that blindstitch/hemstitch either - I'm not sure I would know how to do it, LOL.

You'll have to model the skirt for us!

Mrs. Laura Lane said...

Very pretty!
I've not sewn yet; but, it must be the will of God; because, I bought fabric for $.10 per piece (some small some quite large) at a rummage sale today!

I start sewing tomorrow.

Laura

Annie said...

My mom was a whiz at machine hemming, although she got sadistic pleasure out of making me hem everything by hand. I've never successfully done the blind hem... seems like it was always upside down and backwards.

BTW, like your new banner. Slick!

Saska said...

Come borrow my serger and do a finished edge on it. If anybody is looking...they can hem it for you!

Left you an award on my blog.

Enjoying this cool weather? I'm NOT ready for fall.

Unknown said...

I love skirts and this one is very pretty, love the blue! Also love your new header, it's perfect for this month! Love the bags too, your a much better sewer than me! I think I forgot how to read a pattern it's been so long! lol

Unknown said...

I HATE hemming too and I usually punk out and runn it on the serger, iron in the hem and machine stitch it. I am a slacker though...I practice the art form of being a slacker. Love the skirt though.

plain*worker*primitives said...

Wow..well the skirt looks great, but I'm sorry you lost a day. You have been busy creating GREAT things, I love the bag and the pillows too!

xo
melissa